Thinking Beyond Boxes While Testing
White box and Black box is all we have heard about testing since its origin. There is no tester who is without the knowledge of these testing boxes. But trying things in different perspective to see whether they really work is an art of creative thinking were people come out with their new ideas apart from the default ones.
Some ideas given below, if implemented will make you think out of the box and optimize your testing modules to much greater extent.
1) Creating Test Cases Preparing a gist of ideas and scenarios you may come across while testing, penning it down and repeating the process till you make a good number of content. When the same is reviewed at the end and you will be surprised to see with new ideas you have come out with.
2) Cross testing ideas Use refreshed ideas while testing a new application. Treat it like an entirely new application before you test, you may come across new scenarios and by doing this you may find shortcuts for testing an application which you have not dealt with.
3) Backward Testing Ideas Requirements>> Unit Cases >> Integration Testing >> System Testing is the default way of testing. Instead for a change, try using the reversed order like System Testing>>Integration Testing>>Unit Cases >>Requirements.
Eg: Requirement says you can upload a file which does not exceed file size of 10 MB. The most testers will follow uploading a 1MB, 2MB, 3 MB and so on till 10 MB is reached or error message is displayed. Why not start with 10MB and then try 11MB and then 9 MB. This example is nothing but a BVA but how many of us have tried using BVA in scenarios other than an input box.
4) Questioning Questioning enhances the domain knowledge of the tester. Having an attitude of questioning will not allow the tester to stay negligent even with a small bug. Also the tester can get to know well about his purpose of testing.
5) Researching Making a detail study about the product you are going to test is necessary, therefore make as much as research possible by comparing and interpreting the results you get with the earlier results.
6) What about a cup of coffee How about a cup of coffee in between your testing process or a stroll in the office just before fixing a bug, sounds relaxing? One of the time consuming process is testing were testers need to stick on to the process till the bug is fixed. So at least, gaze out of your window to slow down, unwind and freshen up before getting your hands dirty in process of fixing the bug.
7) Talented Tester who are highly talented with a go get attitude will have innovative ideas of testing and they will not compensate their work at any cause and this will obviously yield them a good result.
8) Working with Multiple disciplines Manual, Functional, Performance testing skills and soft skills like Leadership skills, Communication skills, are some of the other areas a tester should work on. These extra talents will help testers to have a balanced growth both, professionally and personally.
9) Importance of Clients Testers should always work with client,s perspective. Make sure each and every demand of the client is met before delivering their product. This one deed will take a long way in your relationship with them.
10) Interest for finding new ways Testers must act desperate in finding new ways for testing. Working with passion will help you to find new ways of testing.
Post your Comment
All form fields are required.
© 2013 SiliconIndia all rights reserved