20 Top Practical Testing Tips A Tester Should Know
Testing doesn't stop with de bugging. It is very rare to come across all kind of scenarios at a single instant while testing. After all testers learn all these testing practices by experience and here are Top 20 practical software testing tips a tester should read before testing any application.
1) Analyze your test results Troubleshooting the root cause of failure will lead you to the solution of the problem, thus analyzing is very much needed, proper analyzing may get you out of all the possible mistakes. Bugs in softwares are introduced by both man and machine and some of the other practical reasons for the occurrence of bugs are miscommunication, software complexity, Programming errors, changing requirements, time pressures and reluctance.
2) Maximized Test coverage Make use of the entire possible tool for testing application. It can be done by trial and error method for better results, but practically it is impossible to include all the testing methods therefore it is advised to use the testing methods which gave best results earlier. Selecting a testing tool from a QA perspective will result in producing media verification, release scenario and Decision to release the product.
3) Ensure maximum test coverage Breaking your Application Under Test (AUT) in to smaller functional modules will help you to cover the maximum testing applications also if possible break these modules into smaller parts and here is an example to do so.
E.g: Let's assume you have divided your website application in modules and accepting user information is one of the modules. You can break this User information screen into smaller parts for writing test cases: Parts like UI testing, security testing, functional testing of the User information form etc. Apply all form field type and size tests, negative and validation tests on input fields and write all such test cases for maximum coverage.
4) While writing test cases First preference should be given to intended functionality before writing a test case and then for invalid conditions. This will cover expected as well unexpected behavior of application under test.
Some of the Cases should be considered while testing web applications. • Functionality Testing • Performance Testing • Usability Testing • Server Side Interface • Client Side Compatibility • Security
5) Error finding attitude Being a software Tester or a QA engineer you must stay curious about finding a bug in an application, existence of subtle bugs may even crash the entire system. So finding such a subtle bug is most challenging work and it gives you satisfaction of your work and to remain positive.
6) Test cases in requirement analysis Designing the pre requirements about the test cases and analysis can help you to ensure that all the cases are testable.
7) Availability of test cases to developers. Let developers analyze your test cases thoroughly to develop quality application. Letting them to do your work will help them to stay vigil while coding. This is also a time consuming scenario which will help you to release a quality product.
8) To ensure quick testing If possible identify and group your test cases for regression testing. This will ensure quick and effective manual regression testing.
9) Performance testing When it comes to the case of applications it consumes critical response time, therefore it must be given highest priority by choosing performance testing. But at many instants performance testing is avoided as it requires large data volume.
10) Avoid testing your own code Developers are not good testers, none of the developers like to be blamed for their work because they remain optimistic when it comes to their product and they tend to skip their bugs as the person who develops the code generally sees only happy paths of the product and don't want to go in much detail.
11) Testing requirement has no limits Sky is the only limit for testing an application, use all the available means for testing application to improve the quality.
12) Advantage of previous bug graph Using a previous graph will be an aid for finding bugs against different time modules, especially while doing regression testing. This module-wise bug graph can be useful to predict the most probable bug part of the application.
13) Review your Test process Keep in track with your test results, these results may teach you a lot about learning new things. Keep a text file open while testing an application and use these notepad observations while preparing final test release report. This good habit will help you to provide the complete unambiguous test report and release details.
14) Importance of code changes When it comes to the banking projects it requires lots of steps in development or testing environment to avoid execution of live transaction processing. Therefore note down all the changes done for the testing purpose, as testers or developers make changes in code base for application under test.
15) Stay away - Developers If developers don't have access to testing environment they will not do any such changes accidentally on test environment and these missing things can be captured at the right place.
16) Role of a tester in design When you bring in testers right from software requirement and design phase it is obvious they will also become a part of development hence request to your lead or manager to involve your testing team in all decision making processes or meetings. In this way testers can get knowledge of application dependability resulting in detailed test coverage.
17) Rapport with the other testing team Holding a good relationship with your co testers from other team helps both the parties to share best of their testing experience.
18) Together testers and developers Do not keep anything verbal. To know about more details of the product, testers should relate with the developers, maintaining such kind of relationship will resolve more issues which are coming up in the product in the initial stage, make sure to communicate the same over written communication ways like emails.
19) Timing priority Analyzing all risks helps a lot to prioritize work and it is the first stage of implementing time saving method. From this you can avoid wasting time.
20) Importance of final report Testing is a creative and challenging task and do not fail to create a clear report about the bugs and possible solutions. This will remain as a record for Do's and Dont's in testing for future generation.'
Post your Comment
All form fields are required.
© 2015 InfoConnect Web Technologies India Pvt Ltd. all rights reserved