QA City

View Divya  Kulkarni 's Profile
What are some good test cases in order to do License Key authentication while software is being installed?
What are some good test cases in order to do License Key authentication while software is being installed?
Asked by Divya Kulkarni | Apr 30 2013 | Report this Report abuse
Replies (3)
View Pradeep Reddy Nakkala 's Profile
HI There,

Based on my past experience, there are two types of Licensing testing I have performed.
1. Phone check out/Check in
2. Internet Check out/Check in

Before involving in Licensing testing, need to understand the scope. Like, Licenses are used for a product for no.of users or no. of modules to be enabled in an application.

If it is dependent up on modules/features when a license is activated in an application, then you need to prepare a matrix template for the modules for each license and then execute based on the matrix, so that it gives maximum test coverage.

Also, you can add some of the edge condition listed below -

What if license is expired and try to activate it again?

what happens, If same user license is activated on a different PC?

Disconnect your internet connection and try to activate the license key?
May 8 2013 | Report this Report abuse
View Sudhir  Kakar 's Profile
I want to learn about:
What could be the test cases to ensure the test coverage while any proprietary software is being installed using a license key. I wish to avoid (a) re-installation (b) multiple instances of installation - using the same license key.
May 6 2013 | Report this Report abuse
View Aarya  Mathew 's Profile
f it is an internet connected application, having a ssl cert validation and using its private key to be used as a salt for using license key could be a good idea. SSL certs give you a very promising theft-prevention towards license.

Also, using hardware tokens could be a good idea. So, even if you copy the license key to your computer, your hardware key would be really very hard to replicate.
May 5 2013 | Report this Report abuse